First off, on Saturday I helped host a baby shower for my friend Jaclyn. Jaclyn has been such a great friend to me. Great is probably not the word...ridiculously amazing is probably a better descriptive. But seriously, she and her husband (Blayton) have been such faithful friends to me and also to Wyatt. I have thanked God for them so many times, and I know I'll continue to in the future. They are going to be such great parents, and we can't wait to meet their baby boy in February!
As for the shower itself, there were a couple of recipes that seemed to be hits amongst the shower-goers, so I thought I'd post them here. First off, I made cinnamon coffee (actually Blayton was the master of the coffee maker, so he deserves credit too). This recipe comes from the Taste of Texas, a great restaurant here in Houston, and the coffee is oh so good. Just watch how much you drink. I think I had 3 cups of it, and I was seriously wired at the end of the shower.
Cinnamon Coffee (for drip coffee maker only):The next recipe is for Romanoff sauce, which goes over fruit (traditionally, strawberries). If you've ever had Strawberries Romanoff at La Madeliene, then I think you'll love this recipe. It is definitely not low in fat, but it's a great treat when you're in the mood to indulge.
Pour 10 cups of water into machine. Put 4 whole cinnamon sticks and 3 heaping teaspoons brown sugar into the glass pot. Put 1 cup ground coffee (we grind fresh Colombian beans) and 1 teaspoon cinnamon into the brew basket. Brew and stir it well. (The longer it sits, the better it gets!)
Strawberries Romanoff:On Sunday, Wyatt and I ran the Houston half-marathon. This was the second one for both of us. Overall, it was a great experience. The weather was beautiful and neither of us had injuries to speak of by the end.
SERVES 4
Ingredients
1/2 cup sour cream
3 tablespoons brown sugar
1 tablespoon brandy or vanilla
1/2 cup heavy cream
3 tablespoons sugar
4 cups fresh strawberries
Directions
Mix sour cream, brown sugar and Brandy in a bowl.
In a separate bowl, whip cream until starts to thicken and add sugar--whip until thick.
Fold cream into sour cream mixture and blend well.
Serve with fresh strawberries.
The main frustration we had was the start of the race. We were supposed to be in the first "wave" of people to start, but we somehow didn't find our group and so we started towards the end of the second group. That meant that we had a few thousand people in front of us for the first few miles, many of them walking in big groups. As a result, we started off really, really slow, and there was nothing we could do about it. If I was claustrophobic, I might have had a panic attack during the first couple miles. After about 4 miles, the crowd thinned out some and we were able to pick up the pace.
Wyatt ended up with a time of 1:57:53, and me with a time of 2:00:29. My sister, brother, mom and dad came out to support us, and we really appreciated it. We went to Empire Cafe afterwards, and it was a great treat. The rest of the day consisted of a lot of sitting, taking advil, and then more sitting.
Here are a few pictures of Wyatt running:



And me running...


And us running (we didn't smile that much throughout, we just knew our pictures were being taken)...

That was our weekend. I have pictures from the shower that I'll post as soon as I get them uploaded.


No comments:
Post a Comment