Thursday, August 6, 2009

30 Day Shred - Day 6

I have embarked on a jouney of self torture, and done so absolutely voluntarily. What am I talking about? Look below...



The 30 Day Shred is a workout program by Jillian Michaels, who you might have seen as a trainer on a little show called "The Biggest Loser." The program is, obviously, intended to last 30 days, and to get you seriously shredded. You work out using the DVD for right about 20 minutes a day, every day, for 30 days. All you need to do it are 3 or 5 lb. hand weights and a mat. It combines cardio, strenghth and abs into the workout.

There are 3 levels on the program; you move up to the next level when you feel ready. My definition of "feeling ready" thus far has been when I feel a little less like I'm going to die by then end of the workout than I did on the first day of that level.

I am on day 6 right now. I did a number of days of Level 1 before I got really consistent with the program, so I moved up to Level 2 on Wednesday of this week. Wyatt actually joined me for this workout, and even he thought it was hard. That made me feel better, since I was really, really struggling through the session. Level 2 involves lots of moves in the plank position (kind of like push up position); I am now an official hater of the plank position. So hard! Sweat was dripping by the end of the 20 minutes, seriously dripping.

I'm going to keep at it through the 30 days and then plan to keep doing it 3-4 times a week after that. I'll keep you updated on my progress. Thus far, I'm down 2 pounds (at least that's what my scale tells me, hopefully it's not a dream). Disclaimer on that, though, I am not just doing the Shred right now. I'm also doing cardio (running or elliptical) for ~ 35-45 mintues 5-6 times a week and being mindful of what I eat.

Happy shredding and happy (almost) Friday!

No comments: