At thirteen weeks (on February 26th), I went in for the nuchal translucency study and a bunch of blood work. At this appointment, they did a very detailed ultrasound where they measured the fluid in the back of the baby's neck (pretty sure that's right) to make sure it's normal and doesn't indicate any sort of problem/potential disease.
The ultrasound was incredibly detailed, and lasted probably at least 10 minutes, so it was a lot of fun for me. I was sad that they didn't allow dads to come along, because I know Wyatt would have loved it. The baby was moving around like crazy during the ultrasound, which was so fun to watch. He/she had a number of movements where his entire body jumped up and kind of squenched up into a ball, and then fell right back down into a resting position. I asked the technician if this could be hiccups, but she said she thought it was too early for that, so who knows what this baby was up to. Dancing, maybe? Everyone knows I love "So You Think You Can Dance," so I guess baby may know that too.
We got a couple of great pictures from this ultrasound:
Here's one of the baby, presumably resting. I love this one because it really does look like a baby at this point. Especially at our first ultrasound, the baby really wasn't too cute, and I think actually resembled Skeletor a little. (Sorry, just being honest here.) So I was happy to see a cute baby forming in this picture.
And this picture is the reason for the title to this post. I'm pretty sure baby is waving to the world to say his/her first real hello. Time will tell if this baby is a real social butterfly, but I thought this was a fun picture. I must mention that another interpretation, offered by our friend Darby, is that the baby is playing an imaginary saxophone here. This is another one we'll have to wait and see on.
After the ultrasound, I went to get more blood work, which is never my favorite. But, I had to count my blessings because they only took 1 vial of blood rather than the 6 they took the time before. I was not a fan of that process. I realize I have a lot worse things coming for me soon, but hey, I'm trying to build up my tolerance slowly.
Tuesday, March 16, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



3 comments:
Thanks for that shout out! Baby Smith looks great!
why would they not let dad's in on this? is this the thing where you can also find out the sex early on or am I confusing this procedure with something else?
I don't know if some people find out the sex early at this test, but they definitely didn't tell me if they were able.
They said dads couldn't come because it was a really precise measurement, etc., etc. It seemed like they were trying to say that it wasn't really an ultrasound, but rather a medical test, so dads didn't need to be there. Didn't make a lot of sense to me because it seemed like the best ultrasound ever from my perspective. Who knows...
Post a Comment