I have not been good at posting lately, but before much more time elapses, I wanted to record the story of Callum's arrival. So here goes...
First of all, I had a very uneventful, healthy pregnancy (praise God for that). Everything was looking perfectly normal when I went in for an check up with my doctor on Thursday, August 12th. As of that day, I was one day away from being 37 weeks, which is full term in pregnancy-land. I was measuring a little small, but my doctor said that could be because baby had already dropped into position at that point (which he had as of a week or two before). So I left the appointment feeling good and still assured that I probably wouldn't be having this baby for another 3 weeks or so. I even double checked with the doctor that I could keep working out, and he assured me I could.
I worked out that Friday, using the elliptical machine as was my norm, and Wyatt and I had a full weekend of errands, we saw a movie (Inception), and we went to church. On Monday, I ran a TON of errands for just about the entire day. I felt fine...ok a little tired considering it was about 102 degrees that day...but otherwise, I felt pretty good. Wyatt and I went to eat at a favorite pizza place that night and I got a raspberry cream soda. Yum! Everything was normal in Smith pregnancy-land that night.
Tuesday, August 17th started off a little different. Let's just say I woke up with the distinct impression that my water was breaking. It wasn't anything super dramatic, but enough of a difference from the norm that I thought something was happening. So at 5 AM, I told Wyatt we probably needed to head to the hospital just to make sure it wasn't anything. So, we finished packing up our bags (which were not finished being packed, mind you I didn't think they needed to be for another couple of weeks) and headed to the hospital.
We arrived and were sent to labor and delivery. There they ran some tests and concluded that my water had not broken, and I was sent home. I felt a little dumb at this point, but I knew going in to be checked was the right thing to do regardless. I'd read that if your water breaks the baby needs to be delivered within about 24 hours or so, so I knew we needed to be cautious. So we went home, took a little nap, and Wyatt headed off to work. I determined that if I wasn't going to have our boy that day then I was at least going to be productive with the remainder of the day. So, I cleaned a little, did about 6 loads of laundry, and took a shower. Throughout the day, I was still having water breaking symptoms, but again, it was nothing too dramatic, so I just assumed it was nothing. At about 4:30 in the afternoon, when the symptoms were continuing, I decided it would be good to call my doctor just to make sure I shouldn't come back in to be checked again.
So, I called and my doctor said I should definitely come back in and get re-checked. I began cramming more items into our hospital bags and called Wyatt to say that we officially had plans for the night, and they would include doctors, scrubs, and possibly some hospital food. So, off we went to the hosptial again. We were a little anxious at this point but still both pretty sure that we weren't having this baby yet. The drive seemed to take forever, and it wasn't helped by the fact that we were stuck behind some car from California that maintained 15 MPH the entire time.
Eventually, we arrived at the hospital, explained what had being going on that day, and they began running the tests again to see if my water had broken. This time, the results were very quick and definitive. My water had definitely broken. Now the fun was really ready to start... Stay tuned for Part II of the saga.
Sunday, September 5, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


1 comment:
you can't leave us hanging like that! :)
Post a Comment